What did you do to your Epiphone today?

• Thread starter CanuckLP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maguchi

Reaction score
I did look up some of them. I was curious about your take on it. Short cell phone vid solo guitar would have done it.
The only way I know of to post a cellphone vid or any vid to these forums is to post them to a internet site like YouTube or Instagram first and then post a link to it here. Anyway hopefully you like the version played by someone else that's up on YouTube (link in previous post).

Last edited:

Darkness

Reaction score
I'll be buried with the Southern Fade !! :D
When the time is right I'm going to have one. Maybe next year, I'll have to buy used of course as I think they're out of production.

Edit- they're still in production :hmm:

spupilup

Reaction score
I took it upon myself to install a set of used Throbak SLE101 MXV's that were delivered late last week. It was a task!

The pickups were replacing the Burstbucker 2 & 3's in the ASF '59 LP I bought as a "demo" last year for just $680. Shorty after I bought it I installed a Faber tailpiece with studs and bushings. I also went for an ABRM bridge with nickel plated saddles for the unwound strings and titanium for the wound ones. A few months ago I installed a Monty's 50's style harness that even included the toggle switch and jack. I had planned on picking up a pair of the Monty's underspun PAF's but the Throbaks came into the picture and I couldn't pass them up.

I'll be the first to admit that my electrical wiring skills leave something to be desired but, I'm more than up for the challenge. So, I started earlier this afternoon stripping down my LP. I removed the Burstbuckers along with all the Monty's wiring so that I could start fresh. I came very close to wiring the toggle switch wiring and neck pickup wiring in reverse but was fortune to only get half way there before seeing my error. I got everything installed only to first find out that the neck pickup was dead! Not a happy camper. I immediately saw that the solder had not held the pickup wires ground to the pot. I waved my magic soldering iron, heated the pot more fully, applied another dollop of solder to the pot, dropped the wiring in place and applied direct heat. Success. Then I noticed that the wiring for the neck pickup at the toggle switch had also detached. I have to tell you, if you have a really high quality toggle and heavy gauge classic wiring, you don't have a lot of room to maneuver in the cutout where the toggle mounts. A quick revisit with my trusty iron and all was remedied.

When I was sure I had everything working as it was supposed to, I plugged in my '68 Ampeg Reverbojet to have some fun. I still have a lot of work fine tuning everything like string height, intonation, ect. (remember, I had to remove everything including the strings) before I can really start to address adjustments on the pickups but I wanted to at least hear how these legendary pickups sound. I know there's a lot of talk on the boards these days about the various Alnico magnets and what they're supposed to sound like but I have to say, the A2's in the TB's really do have that "single coil on steroids" tonal quality down pat. That's not to limit their capabilities in any way but wow, player clean, through my Tone King and it was amazing to hear my ASF sound almost like an acoustic guitar.

I have only played the guitar for about 45 minutes or so and I noticed, with the massive paper in oil caps in the Monty's harness (they use their own cap), if you're using something like my Analogman or Decibelics boost pedal, you can get back to really clean by about 6 on the volume knob. Really, I just feel like the combination of the wiring and the pickups gives me a lot more subtle control over the guitar than the same harness with Burstbuckers did. I know, it's hard to explain but I can go from a nice chimey sound in with the bridge to a pretty aggressively raunchy sound, all between 6 and 10 on the volume knob. I'm left feeling there are a lot more tonal possibilities in the guitar the way it is now set up than the way it was before.

Again, this is all after just playing a short while. I'll try to report back over the next couple of days as I learn more about the impact these pickups which, if bought new, would cost more than the guitar they went into!!!

I should also make it clear that I purchased an A5 unoriented magnet to experiment with after I get comfortable with the way the magnets in the TB's sound. For all I know I may wind up happy just the way they are. If that's the case, I have an ADB '59 that has had similar mods with a pair of BB's just calling out for something different. Maybe that's were the magnet experiment will lead.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0971.jpeg
    IMG_0971.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

spupilup

Reaction score
I gotta say, I love the way Monty's labeled the bridge and neck pickup wires coming off the toggle. There was an image of a camel for the "neck" pickup and the Tower of London for the 'bridge" pickup on respective wires.

Supernotch

Reaction score
@spupilup UOA5 is quickly becoming a favorite for me. I’ve tried it in 2 pickups so far I’ve liked it both times. I may have to order some more hehe.

spupilup

Reaction score
@spupilup UOA5 is quickly becoming a favorite for me. I’ve tried it in 2 pickups so far I’ve liked it both times. I may have to order some more hehe.
I held off on using the UOA5 today. I’m really digging the SLE101’s just the way they are. I wonder what would happen if I dropped two UOA5’s into this extra set of BB’s I have out of my ‘59? I just bought a “Blem” Slash Victoria for $599. It might be the perfect vehicle for some experimentation.😁

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Both of my €pis had a meeting with the VOX AGA70

rsnqkUd.jpg

vgtqW4J.jpg

spupilup

Reaction score
I did it yesterday but I’ll post a picture of the finished project.

I installed a pair of Burst Bucker 2&3 pickups on my recently purchased Slash Victoria. On top of that, I removed the A2 magnet from the neck and installed a Throbak an unoriented A5 instead.

Then I made a complete wiring harness for the short Switchcraft toggle to the Switchcraft jack. In between are four really cool Bare Knuckle spec CTS 550k pots and a pair of 22 uF oil filled caps by MOD. Gavitt wiring was used throughout.

I liked the improvement the magnet swap provided for the neck so I ordered another magnet today for the bridge. I have a ‘59 with stock BB’s so I’m trying to take this guitar in a slightly different direction. The other ‘59 I have has a used pair of Throbak SLE-101’s installed along with a Monty’s harness and it definitely doesn’t sound like the ‘59 with the BB’s.

I feel lucky that I have these three LP’s that all sound great but each has its own distinct personality. I also feel fortunate that I’ve been able to experiment the way I have without breaking the bank. Finally, I’m thankful that Epiphone has created the ‘59 and Slash because they both (especially “blemished” or “demo”) represent great value and the perfect starting point for interesting experimentations.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Decided to try a set of 9s on my 355. I normally buy D’Addario NYXL 10-46 by the 25 pack box. But when I was unpacking after we moved I found a 3 pack of 9-42 NYXLs that I must have bought at some point. Not sure how much I like them yet. We’ll see. Figured it’s worth a try. View attachment 25540

That's a very classy guitar!

Latest posts