What is brand new?

• Thread starter Steven Westberg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
I was saving up for a Jared James Nickle, have not seen one yet. I was torn between that and the 1959 Les Paul, but then this 50th anniversary one came up at a steal of a price and well, it worked out for me.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
If I may, I would like to explore the question you gave in your title a bit.
We all know that unless you directly ordered that Guitar, you are not the first one to have played it outside of the factory.
In some cases, a "New" guitar you buy from the store may have been on the wall for months and played buy a 100 or more before you. It may have had a the strings change and been cleaned dozens of time. I liken it to buying a new car from a car rental agency.
So, in the case of a Guitar, I believe the legal definition would be, if your the first person to register that guitar for warranty with the company then it is new and you are the original owner.

I will use my 2010 50th Anniversary Les Paul, I bought it from Guitar center (A Epiphone dealer) it came to me with all the factory paperwork and the warranty card. While the case showed some scoffs and digs, the guitar did not even have a pick scratch, it's like it sat in it's case for the 11 years of it's life.
I logged onto Epiphone.com and I was able to register it as a original owner. Now if someone had registered it before, it would have kick it back.
So in short, I bought an 11 year old new guitar.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
So, in the case of a Guitar, I believe the legal definition would be, if your the first person to register that guitar for warranty with the company then it is new and you are the original owner.

Factory > Dealer > First Owner is my definition of new. You can be the 15th owner and still the first to register the guitar.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
Factory > Dealer > First Owner is my definition of new. You can be the 15th owner and still the first to register the guitar.

On the warranty registration it asks for the Epiphone dealer you bought it from and the date. They ask that you register it within 15 days of purchase. The original mail card was in the case, so I followed the rules and they say I am the first owner.
And Dave, if you were to look this guitar over, you would agree, it was never played. NOS or not, I still qualify as the original owner.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
If I may, I would like to explore the question you gave in your title a bit.
We all know that unless you directly ordered that Guitar, you are not the first one to have played it outside of the factory.
In some cases, a "New" guitar you buy from the store may have been on the wall for months and played buy a 100 or more before you. It may have had a the strings change and been cleaned dozens of time. I liken it to buying a new car from a car rental agency.

I will use my 2010 50th Anniversary Les Paul, I bought it from Guitar center (A Epiphone dealer) it came to me with all the factory paperwork and the warranty card. While the case showed some scoffs and digs, the guitar did not even have a pick scratch, it's like it sat in it's case for the 11 years of it's life.
I logged onto Epiphone.com and I was able to register it as a original owner. Now if someone had registered it before, it would have kick it back.
So in short, I bought an 11 year old new guitar.

Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. I meant new model. My strat hung on the wall for four months until they started discounting it. It got in my range and came home with me.
I was think of new models though. The second post sent me looking and I found a beautiful cream with gold hardware center block f-top. Made me drool…

Latest posts