What string gauge on your LP?

• Thread starter tygr1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I played with 7s on my LP Custom for about a month and a half and although they are quite manageable I went back to 9-42s for my comfort. The difference between the two on a shorter scale is dramatic. I'll keep the 7s on my Strat though.

Equalphone

Reaction score
I've been using (GHS) 10-46 for a long time. Tried 9-42 on my SG with a stop/bridge tailpiece and I liked it. So I also swapped my LP Special (same bridge/stop) to use them. I like the feel better - I think the one-piece stop/tail is inherently stiffer since there's less string to be pulled when you bend. It just feels too tight.

I think the 10's rang with a little more chime. At lest when playing unplugged. But, it could be my imagination.

My LP still has 10-46's on it. Might swap it, but it feels as easy as the others with 9's. It has the TOM setup though, so that might be the difference.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I have been playing 25.5 scale length guitars since 1979.
And use 10-46 on those .

I use 11-48 on my Gibson LPC .
Because the headstock angle of my Epiphone LPC , is only 14 degrees, I have to use 11-52 on my Epi LPC, to get a similar tension I need from 25.5 scale necks that I am used to.

The Convert

Reaction score
Playing less than 10s on an LP feels weird to me, but I will sometimes flip down to 9s if I haven’t played in a long time.

I don’t chug or typically downtune, so I’ve never felt the need for 11s or higher.

Caddy

Reaction score
10’s on everything except my semi-hollows and my Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang which get 11’s. Mostly use sets with wound thirds. Was the only way they came when I started playing in 1957 and for years after that. To me the wound third sounds better and for sure intonates better. D’Adarrio does make 10’s with the wound third.

Last edited:

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
10’s on everything except my semi-hollows and my Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang which get 11’s. Mostly use sets with wound thirds. Was the only way they came when I started playing in 1957 and for years after that. To me the wound third sounds better and for sure intonates better. D’Adarrio does make 10’s with the wound third.

I like flats on guitars but the wound third is always too much of a bear to try and bend.

I am using a set of 10’s from D’Addario when I do use them which is the same guage as the 11’s I use regularly except the high E string.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the intonation on the wound G. It makes tuning and intimating the G string so easy.

Are you actually able to do bends with that wound G string?

Pat

Caddy

Reaction score
I like flats on guitars but the wound third is always too much of a bear to try and bend.

I am using a set of 10’s from D’Addario when I do use them which is the same guage as the 11’s I use regularly except the high E string.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the intonation on the wound G. It makes tuning and intimating the G string so easy.

Are you actually able to do bends with that wound G string?

Pat

Yup, even at 74 years old!

Sindre

Reaction score
I use Thomastik-Infeld 12–50 flats on most of my guitars, but my only Les Paul (2014 Gibson Traditional) is too dark-sounding with those. It is also the only guitar I use for some bending (I am not a blues player), so I have Rotosound Pure Nickels 11–48 on it. When you're used to playing flatwound 12s on Fender scale, roundwound 11s on Gibson scale is very light.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I use Thomastik-Infeld 12–50 flats on most of my guitars, but my only Les Paul (2014 Gibson Traditional) is too dark-sounding with those. It is also the only guitar I use for some bending (I am not a blues player), so I have Rotosound Pure Nickels 11–48 on it. When you're used to playing flatwound 12s on Fender scale, roundwound 11s on Gibson scale is very light.

I had a funny moment when a friend handed me his Tele to play and it had 9’s on it. I went for my first bend and bent the note to about the middle of the neck!

Thankfully I didn’t break the string. But it was an eye opening experience. :)

Pat

Latest posts