Where are you?

• Thread starter Darkness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
Isn’t it good that we have a place where we can share our interests and everyday lives. We need more of that in this troubled world we live in! It’s a pity that open internet isn’t available to all.

Caddy

Reaction score
I live in the same small town in NW Indiana where I have lived since the summer before I started first grade in 1952. Never have any desire to live elsewhere. Back in the mid 60’s while I was in college my parents moved to Florida so spent about 5 miserable years down there. Was very glad to get back home.

Seems a lot of people like to relocate after retirement, but I have been retired for over 14 years and never had any desire to do so. I like being around old friends I have had since early grade school. Once a month a group of about 15 of us guys get together for lunch at various locations.

Last edited:

Digger

Reaction score
I live in the same small town in NW Indiana where I have lived since the summer before I started first grade in 1952. Never have any desire to live elsewhere. Back in the mid 60’s while I was in college my parents moved to Florida so spent about 5 miserable years down there. Was very glad to get back home.

Seems a lot of people like to relocate after retirement, but I have been retired for over 14 years and never had any desire to do so. I like being around old friends I have had since early grade school. Once a month a group of about 15 of us guys get together for lunch at various locations.
Theres a lot to be said for familiarity!

I’ve just come back from a trip to town and had several conversations with people I didn’t know, just in the street. It leaves a nice warm fuzzy feeling dealing with overtly friendly folk.

Otto99

Reaction score
Well, I live about three hours from where I grew up, but my mother’s side of the family has roots in and near Memphis, my grandmother - and the rest of us - came to Memphis every six weeks to see her cardiologist and urologist, so Memphis has always been a familiar place with a familial connection. My mother and father met in Memphis, etc., so I don’t have an issue with calling it home. I’d never go back to where I went to high school, but would consider living where I went to college.

Whitefang

Reaction score
Where I worked it was different. There were still a lot of relocated Southerners at the plant, who came up to Detroit to find auto work, worked here and also lived here for 40+ years and once they retired, they went "back home"! 🤪 Cripes, you'd of thought 40 years in one place would become home during that spell.

Whitefang

Raiyn

Reaction score
Back in the mid 60’s while I was in college my parents moved to Florida so spent about 5 miserable years down there.
It hasn't gotten better.

Cripes, you'd of thought 40 years in one place would become home during that spell.
Nope. I've been in Floriduh over 25 years and I still consider myself an ex-pat Minnesotan. Thankfully, I've taken the opportunity to go romp around in my native habitat a few times recently - only reinforcing my desire to leave Satan's Armpit.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Where I worked it was different. There were still a lot of relocated Southerners at the plant, who came up to Detroit to find auto work, worked here and also lived here for 40+ years and once they retired, they went "back home"! 🤪 Cripes, you'd of thought 40 years in one place would become home during that spell.

Whitefang
I grew up in Florida, but I've lived in Maryland for 27 years - longer than I've lived anywhere else. My children were born and raised in Maryland and this is home. Plus, I've paid about $2 billion in taxes here.

When I meet people from from the place I was born, they ask, "When was the last time you were home?" I answer, "This morning."

Latest posts