Who was the oldest person you ever knew??

• Thread starter Steven Westberg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
My Ma is 89 now. We have had family live to be 103. What’s the oldest person you ever knew? For me it was my granny. We called her “Pana”, I don’t know why, but “Pana” and she was 103 years old when she passed. She went from horse and buggy to man on the moon and computers!

Attachments

• A1771614-F431-4FF0-9DC8-2756009E5C73.jpeg
    A1771614-F431-4FF0-9DC8-2756009E5C73.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 5

Digger

Reaction score
My mum’s companion was 96, mum 93 when she died.

I think back through my life even and so much has changed. For example the "ice man" used to deliver large blocks of ice for the ice box where we kept food fresh. It was carried on a flat bed dray pulled by a Clydesdale horse. I can still hear the clip clop of its hooves coming down the street. The “pan man” used to replace empty toilet cans and carry the full one out on his shoulder....great job in summer(not).

Pens that we dipped in ink and blotted up excess and I remember the excitement at school when Biros came in, well until one leaked in my shirt pocket that is.

It’s a pity that our memories and experiences go with us when we die.

Supersonic

Reaction score
My great aunt turned 100 when she was in the hospital last year after she got Covid. Unfortunately she never made it home. 100 years is a hell of a ride though, I think most of us would take that if given the choice.

Otto99

Reaction score
My mother will be 89 this year, and I have an aunt who’ll be 93. IIRC, my maternal great grandmothers, both of whom I recall quite clearly, made it into the upper 90’s, and my paternal grandparents made at least mid 90’s. Smoking took out my dad, stepdad, and maternal grandfather in their late 70’s.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
My mother's eldest sister died at 98.

The changes that some of our elders have seen are amazing. What will I tell my grandchildren? "I remember when you had to write letters to communicate with people far away. Or, if you could afford it, there was thing thing called long-distance telephone calls."

I can tell my kids that my generation has a supersonic passenger airplane and theirs doesn't. :D

Supersonic

Reaction score
My grandmother lived to 100 years and 6 days. Had dementia for the last several years, living in assisted living, memory care and finally hospice facilities.

No, thank you kindly.

Unfortunately those things also happen to people a whole lot younger than 100.

The Convert

Reaction score
As for me, my maternal grandfather lived to 93, but some hospice clients I worked with lived into their late nineties.

The Convert

Reaction score
My great aunt turned 100 when she was in the hospital last year after she got Covid. Unfortunately she never made it home. 100 years is a hell of a ride though, I think most of us would take that if given the choice.

Honestly 51 is plenty. More is fine, but were it to end now, I wouldn’t feel cheated. I did what I set out to do.

grinwer

Reaction score
As I recall, that is the fundamental truth of Buddhism.
The basic truth of Buddhism is that there is a way beyond suffering, going beyond death.
He doesn't just speak, he shows the way, Real experience.

Last edited:

The Convert

Reaction score
If your real name is Faust, it was nice knowing you. :)

It could be argued, when observing nature, that non-human species exist to reproduce and do whatever raising of their young is biologically necessary. After this, they generally die off.

One might say, then, that the human struggle to extend our lives is inherently unnatural.

It sorta makes sense that the average life expectancy 150 years ago was in the 50s.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
My mum’s companion was 96, mum 93 when she died.

I think back through my life even and so much has changed. For example the "ice man" used to deliver large blocks of ice for the ice box where we kept food fresh. It was carried on a flat bed dray pulled by a Clydesdale horse. I can still hear the clip clop of its hooves coming down the street. The “pan man” used to replace empty toilet cans and carry the full one out on his shoulder....great job in summer(not).

Pens that we dipped in ink and blotted up excess and I remember the excitement at school when Biros came in, well until one leaked in my shirt pocket that is.

It’s a pity that our memories and experiences go with us when we die.
Very thoughtful and very true Digger.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
My mother will be 89 this year, and I have an aunt who’ll be 93. IIRC, my maternal great grandmothers, both of whom I recall quite clearly, made it into the upper 90’s, and my paternal grandparents made at least mid 90’s. Smoking took out my dad, stepdad, and maternal grandfather in their late 70’s.
90 is a pretty decent age!

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
My mother's eldest sister died at 98.

The changes that some of our elders have seen are amazing. What will I tell my grandchildren? "I remember when you had to write letters to communicate with people far away. Or, if you could afford it, there was thing thing called long-distance telephone calls."

I can tell my kids that my generation has a supersonic passenger airplane and theirs doesn't. :D
Long live The Concorde!!

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
My grandmother lived to 100 years and 6 days. Had dementia for the last several years, living in assisted living, memory care and finally hospice facilities.

No, thank you kindly.
My ma probably has her old room!

Last edited:

Latest posts