WHY do folks put "Gibson" truss rod covers on Epis??

• Thread starter IronSchef
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Bones

Reaction score
When I bought my acoustic (avatar), the factory rep was touting the Gibson-Epiphone line of guitars.

Early 90's and I think it was an attempt to make upper level Epi's more akin to more expensive Gibsons.

I always describe it as a Gibson-Epiphone, as Epiphone acoustics don't generally get that much respect. But it is solid TB&S bird's eye maple, even if it is an AE.

RegularJim

Reaction score
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I intend to replace any TRC on guitars I buy with one more fitting to the "personality" of the individual guitar. None will say "Gibson" even if it actually is a Gibson.
View attachment 4390

It's just how I roll.
Where do you get those? I found some you can get custom writing on, but the picture ones are cool.

vino-g

Reaction score
Apologies for rebooting an old thread but if we can all hark back to the original posts...

I have a 1993 Korean made Ebony SG G310 with a bolt on neck, a fair few dings and the awful original pickups. I bought the thing over 10 years ago for a daft £30 because it had aged well, it's well balanced and the neck plays like a dream tbh, and I thought it would make a good project guitar. That never exactly happened, mainly due to me buying a Sheraton instead, but for a daft pick up and play guitar that's always been laying around I've probably had more songs out of it than any other, anyway I digress.

I've finally decided to just throw some decent pick ups in it, seymours which I can use elsewhere later if things don't go well and just see how it holds up, it's probably earned the chance by this point. But ever since I got the thing I've always hated that dumb vertically written Gibson truss rod cover all these guitars seem to have had. As the first post in this thread highlights, I think almost anyone's first reaction to seeing that word on an epiphone, mine included, is that some try hard (as far as the observer cares, you) has actually bought that thing to put on there, or even that it's some kind of fake. It's always just seemed a bit sad looking to me, like putting a ferrari badge on an MR2.

Needless to say it's going in the parts bin along with the pick ups and I was wondering if anyone here knows of a supplier for a replacement that will for sure fit one of these guitars from this era. It's a 3 screw bell shaped one but the modern examples all seem to have a slightly different profile, particularly around the top screw hole.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, and apologies for the life story, I fear this whole lockdown thing may finally be driving me quite mad.

Edit. And one saying Tomato Soup would indeed be preferable to the current situation.

Last edited:

vino-g

Reaction score
I figured a picture might be useful in regards to my last post. Couldn't get the full headstock in with the size requirements. Yes it needs a clean, this isn't a case queen.20210215_023630.jpg

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
They say Gibson because Epiphone wouldn't fit. :D

Here's a blank one from Philadelphia Lutherie and others are listed as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121138805179

s-l1600.jpg

grinwer

Reaction score
Thanks in advance if anyone can help, and apologies for the life story, I fear this whole lockdown thing may finally be driving me quite mad.
I want to support you during this difficult time.
Communication will not let us go crazy. )
There are many interesting stories here. One more. )

vino-g

Reaction score
They say Gibson because Epiphone wouldn't fit. :D

Here's a blank one from Philadelphia Lutherie and others are listed as well.

Thanks alot man but it's not the right one, it's a 3 screw example with a flat bottom as in the pic, sorry if it wasn't the best, the screws are pretty oxidized and are just dark bare metal at this point. There's modern examples of covers which may fit that I've seen but I just wanted to be sure because the shape of those look much more elongated, especially around the top screw. Has anyone ever tried to fit a modern replacement to one of these guitars?. I understand that the truss rod cover of an early 90s G310 is probably a pretty niche subject by this point but these guitars do seem to have changed little between 1990 and 1997 and the Gibson cover around into the 2000s so I hoped there could be someone around here who has replaced one of these at some point and could say for sure.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Ah....didn't catch the flat bottom. Would it work if you sanded the bottom flat? Otherwise you may have to look to some parts guys who sell older vintage era parts. These days even 1993 seems vintage.

vino-g

Reaction score
Ah....didn't catch the flat bottom. Would it work if you sanded the bottom flat? Otherwise you may have to look to some parts guys who sell older vintage era parts. These days even 1993 seems vintage.

I have seen some more recent examples for sale with flat bottoms so I wouldn't need to do anything like that and hopefully they'd just fit no sweat, unfortunatelythings are rarely that easy. I'd prefer one with the epiphone E but even blank would do. They just look a little off in the shape to me on pictures, don't have clear dimensions and I can't exactly go to a guitar store to have a look at a modern epiphone example at the moment. I'm not completely opposed to drilling a new top hole to make one fit if I have to, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it. Thanks again for your help anyway.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score

Greg Dunn

Reaction score
Then you have ones like mine, MIJ with open book headstock.

Attachments

• MYLQ4.jpeg
    MYLQ4.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 6

vino-g

Reaction score
Nice, is that an 80s one?. Love the more traditional Epi logo text, reminds me of my 2012 korean Sheraton II. Strings need clipping I know. 20210215_234954.jpg
The 93 G310 has the modern logo straight on and the clipped headstock. 20210215_235049.jpg

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
I think this is really subjective though. That is, when is it no longer original?

I would guess that nobody would say changing strings (or brake pads, to keep up the metaphor) would undo its "original" status. What if you remove a trem spring? Probably not. But where then?

I was working with a buddy on a vintage Les Paul. I'm pretty sure it was a '53. Not pristine, but gorgeous nonetheless. It needed a replacement pot. We talked about it for hours if we really needed to find a period-appropriate pot for this guitar. The owner had inherited it and had no opinion. But what was underlying our discussion was, regardless of what he or I thought, would "too many people" consider this change to take it out of the "all original" classification.

What I learned for myself then and in subsequent similar situations, is that I'm going to get the best sounding instruments, and if I can improve them for me, then that's the obvious thing to do. If someone else doesn't value those changes, that's also an opinion. But if anyone values an instrument because of the idea of what it is over how it sounds and plays, then I will posit that they are interested in collectable museum pieces, and not living creations of music.

I have a 2011 Gretsch G6128T-DSV Duo Jet. It is the FMIC produced modern reissue based on the 1955 Duo Jet built at the Terada factory in Japan. It's one of the few that is finished in nitrocellulose. It is also no longer in production which could make it collectible in the future. It was the most expensive musical instrument I've ever bought and it's also the guitar I have modded the most. The most debated in my brain mod was whether to change the stock 500K pots to 1 meg CTS pots which is what I found out the originals came with. I did it and am still happy I did. It really opened the tone. I've also had the pickups rewound, installed a brass nut, added a Tru-Arc Serpentune aluminum bar bridge with a rosewood base and bought a G Tailpiece to replace the Bigsby B3. While the guitar was amazing in its stock condition it sounds and plays even better now, at least to me.
2DFE41DD-68B8-4BE1-A75D-C4D741AE74B9.jpeg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Gretsch G6128T-DSV Duo Jet. It is the FMIC produced modern reissue based on the 1955 Duo Jet built at the Terada factory in Japan. It's one of the few that is finished in nitrocellulose. It is also no longer in production which could make it collectible in the future. It was the most expensive musical instrument I've ever bought and it's also the guitar I have modded the most. The most debated in my brain mod was whether to change the stock 500K pots to 1 meg CTS pots which is what I found out the originals came with. I did it and am still happy I did. It really opened the tone. I've also had the pickups rewound, installed a brass nut, added a Tru-Arc Serpentune aluminum bar bridge with a rosewood base and bought a G Tailpiece to replace the Bigsby B3. While the guitar was amazing in its stock condition it sounds and plays even better now, at least to me.
2DFE41DD-68B8-4BE1-A75D-C4D741AE74B9.jpeg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

It sounds like you're happy with it - that's all that matters. Guitars are not (should not be) a financial investment to be relied upon to increase in monetary value. They are an investment in yourself as a person as a means of self-expression and art.

guitarlover

Reaction score
Folks put them on because it’s part of their job at the Gibson owned Epiphone factory in Korea. On my guitar anyway. Other than that who knows?

So yea it’s pretty cool!

Latest posts