WHY do folks put "Gibson" truss rod covers on Epis??

• Thread starter IronSchef
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xtypeintn

Reaction score
I spent a decade in the motorcycle/custom bike biz as a shop owner. We called all the “Pretty Little Things” folks put on their bikes “Farkle”. Usually, the most farkled bikes were HD’s. But there was great representation from all brands and models. Farkle showed pride of ownership (along with sum truly bad ideas) and we felt that anything that would encourage engagement in the motorcycle industry was good.

Everyone’s taste in Farkle is different. If it makes you want to pick up your axe and play... what could possibly be wrong with that?

Is a Gibson TRC on an Epiphone any worse than Gibson pups in an Epi?

My LP ES Pro has some bits of Farkle. I pulled the Grover machines and swapped in a set of GraphTech Ratio Locking machines. While the Grover’s are a great set of machines, I wanted to put lockers on, and I had a set of locking Grover’s on my Gibson LP and wanted something “better” and the ratio locking machines are “Da’ Bomb”.

The trc on my ES Pro was a typical Epi piece, plastic with a “model type” sticker on it.

I HATE STICKERS!!!!!

The sticker had an obvious edge and you could tell that is would age badly. So I just peeled the sticker portion of the trc off. Looked ok, basic black like on some of the models, past and present.

I also carefully peeled all of the back of the headstock stickers off as well. Stickers make me feel like Minnie Pearl. I laugh when all the “Guitar Sniffers” say “Horror of horrors, you are ruining the vale of your guitar!!!” I say...”I bought the damn thing to play, not pay for my retirement”

Most recent farkle is my new Thalia trc.

I think it adds a nice touch to the headstock on my LP ES Pro.

If it makes you happy and want to pick up your axe and play, I say Go For It!

YMMV

Cheers,
RD
2A29BFE4-6C8E-44C5-BF3C-8A8C7E645134.jpeg

Raiyn

Reaction score
Is a Gibson TRC on an Epiphone any worse than Gibson pups in an Epi?
As far as the TRC, not when it's factory (as they were). Other applications are like putting a "Type-R" badge on a bone stock Altima. At least the Gibby p'ups do something.

I've got plenty of "Farkle" on my guitars but they don't advertise the guitar as anything but my axe.

I also carefully peeled all of the back of the headstock stickers off as well. Stickers make me feel like Minnie Pearl. I laugh when all the “Guitar Sniffers” say “Horror of horrors, you are ruining the vale of your guitar!!!” I say...”I bought the damn thing to play, not pay for my retirement”
Preach on brother man!
I HATE STICKERS!!!!!
Stickers are for cases - unless you're in a punk band then it's kind of expected.

Biddlin

Reaction score
"'Do what thou wilt!' shall be the whole of the law." I have mostly stock looking guitars, but I do have a couple that are "Farkled up."
SGclsc.jpg bidsmstrt.jpg
The red SG was purchased as a "salvage" item with a broken neck and missing hardware. The Strat which was almost new and in original condition just cried out to me for bling.
Both have done a good bit of time o stage.

RR-Ramblers

Reaction score
I'm a "people" and I did not put a "Gibson" truss rod cover on my '99 Made in Korea / MIK 335 DOT...

....Epiphone did. Very common on MIK models in the 1990's.Epiphone 335 Dot '99 hs 2.jpg

Newtothis

Reaction score
I can respect your opinion. In my view, mods are fun, and I like the idea of having a one off customized rig that I did myself. Your mileage may vary.

Speaking of mileage, pennies, and choices we wouldn't have made....
I can respect your opinion. In my view, mods are fun, and I like the idea of having a one off customized rig that I did myself. Your mileage may vary.

BXJiSzhIEAILKQu.jpg

He's a local.
looks like a car that is at Ripleys Believe it or Not in Branson, MO!

He's a local.

BXJiSzhIEAILKQu.jpg

He's a local.

Latest posts