CoVid-19 Thread.

• Thread starter Digger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzo21

Reaction score
It's hard to compare results from one country to another, even from one state/province to the next, as testing is not standardized. So % of infected doesn't mean much.

This is very true. The number of cases, at least in Canada, means nothing. Some people in my community, that isn't even hard hit yet, have to wait 6 to 10 days for their results unless they are hospitalized. A lot of people are getting mad, but it makes sense. Good public health numbers are not as important as making sure the staff in our hospitals are safe-wh-ere the fast testing is being done. That means the # of cases does not accurately reflect the risk in the community, the death rate is inflated, and the trend line is dependent on testing backlog.

That being said, here is how I interpret the numbers. I ignore the # of cases, but like Bgood said, the death per million number is useful. It is a stand in for a snapshot of where we are in comparison to other countries, but it is 2 weeks behind (the average time it takes from seeking healthcare to death). I also look at the death's per day, that gives the general trend (but again 2 to 3 weeks behind). Looking at that graph and when it starts to go down we will know, two weeks later, that the peak is over and the decline started...

Mike Mooney

Reaction score
Obviously - by definition - I don't know if I've got any undiagnosed medical conditions, but I'd be surprised. For an over 65, all my indicators are good. Fitness, weight, BMI, blood pressure, heart rate, all excellent. No allergies beyond mild hayfever a couple of weeks a year, no diabetes, no history of heart disease in the immediate family. If it was just me, I'd say bring it on, I'd rather go through the suffering and get it over with. But I worry about the missus - she has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes immumosuppressant drugs, plus has had cancer, and close family with a history of heart disease. Every time I come back from the shops, I'm scared I'm bringing her a death sentence. :(

Obligatory Epiphone content: I'm missing my open mic nights, but I've been posting vids i various FB groups, so my EJ-200 is getting a run-out.

Skydog

Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread, but what I think one thing a lot are missing is that eventually everyone will contract this virus. There is no immunity out there. The only thing health officials can hope for is the “flattening of the curve” so as not to overwhelm the system.

Keith4001r

Reaction score
My wife and I are in SE Georgia, USA. We just moved into a new to us house on March 20. We’re both retired and both have been active in performance arts, but not so much now. Everything has been put on hold, if not canceled.
We are in good health and staying at home unless absolutely necessary.
I’m reading as much as I can and trying to make sense of it all.
Stay safe, y’all.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Every time I come back from the shops, I'm scared I'm bringing her a death sentence.
I limit the number of trips I take and I have a decontamination area and protocol. Lysol is my co-pilot. If I have to go to the bank or store, I put on clean clothes and before I exit the car I put on rubber gloves. I carry a packet of sanitary wipes, too, for shopping cart and keypads. When I return to the car, I place my items in the trunk and fog with Lysol. I spray a little on the gloves and rub my hands together before disposing of them. When I get home I wipe the doorknob with sanitizer and strip down in the guest bathroom placing everything in a plastic bag and spray with Lysol. I then shower thoroughly and put on clean clothes. Not too tough if you only have to go out a couple of times a week.

epi 'sildo

Reaction score

epi 'sildo

Reaction score
its quite sad really because there was lots of warning for like 15 years. there was sars. there were other pandemics and the knowledge that pandemics simply happen. and they'll happen more often if theres things like wild food markets which is where this came from. so, theres that. then there's the response. the WHO saying travel restriction would make things worse. the financial/business sector of course were in lock step on this and governments didn't restrict travel. in a world that turns on money you better believe we have a finite value. then when it spread more they still didn't restrict travel. as far as that goes canada still says domestic travel is ok if you don't have symptoms. thats crazy. it appears that 70% of the infected are asymptomatic. they spread it. so theres that. and so it comes down to looking after yourself. so take care all. paruwi...your wife has a yard of guts. i tip my hat.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Last edited:

dova

Reaction score
Stay safe guys here in Australia where not completely in lockdown but where down to 2 people in a group and stay home unless for essentials...we can exercise but can't stop anywhere and sit down

dova

Reaction score
All the caravan parks here have been closed and that means that our holiday spot is now locked down! I don’t know when we will see it again?

That raises the issue of thousands of travellers being locked in where they are. Wonder what will happen there?

Also with Easter approaching I wonder if city people will still head to holiday areas like ours? We don’t want them!
Every park and caravan parks are shut....beaches are shut I don't think too many will have anywhere to go for holidays...there out of the question...so we'll see at Easter!!!

Digger

Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread, but what I think one thing a lot are missing is that eventually everyone will contract this virus. There is no immunity out there. The only thing health officials can hope for is the “flattening of the curve” so as not to overwhelm the system.

Gee thanks for cheering me up!
S’pose the kids will get their inheritance a bit earlier then~

Otto99

Reaction score
And damn it, we’re #1. Pardon me if I don’t get all jingoistic. And ya know what’s nasty? Going to the store and seeing piles of discarded gloves and masks littering the parking lot.

Raiyn

Reaction score
And damn it, we’re #1. Pardon me if I don’t get all jingoistic. And ya know what’s nasty? Going to the store and seeing piles of discarded gloves and masks littering the parking lot.
Yeah, people always have been slobs. The worst part is that's PPE that the hospitals could have put to better use.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score

I should make a YouTube tutorial, but I'd have to waste a mask and a pair of gloves.

Take one gloved hand and pinch some material on the other. Pull off the glove while turning it inside out.
With the clean and free hand, pull off the mask and then grab it with the gloved hand (still holding the first glove) and crumple both items.
With the clean and free hand, stick a thumb down the inside of the other glove and peel it off, inside out, while relaxing the fingers as necessary to let the glove come off.
Put it in a trash can or your trunk to discard at home.
When you're done, you should have an inside-out glove ball that holds the mask and other glove.

Otto99

Reaction score
The bride and I went to what’s supposed to be our market for supplies, and were wore masks so we didn’t inadvertently infect someone. Two things became obvious; 1) masks will not protect bearded gentlemen. I could feel the draft coming in from the edges whenever I would inhale, and b) prolly need some mouthwash before masking up after the morning coffee.

Latest posts