The New FAKE Epi thread

Hogie34

Reaction score
Yeah I would imagine they’ve depleted their budget for lawyers at this point. It’s so out of control now I don’t see them ever fixing it.

CheshireFrog

Reaction score
300% fake

yyndtntee0q8opfa17bk.webp

That Custom Shop stamp is awful.

Elsie

Reaction score
Hello. Occasional lurker here. I was wondering if you could please take a look at this Epiphone. It is for sale in my area and I am considering purchasing. It looks alright to my untrained eye, I just wanted to double check here. Thanks.
$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

John

Reaction score
I agree Jeffy. They look absolutely beautiful.

Blastronaut

Reaction score
Hey folks. New member, please be gentle!' Im thinking about going to check out a Epi LP that's popped up on Craigslist locally. Normally I'd just go try it out and make an offer if I like how it feels but I'm out of action with the flu and have spent the last two days over-analysing the photos and spotted a few peculiarities about this one. Serial Number says it's a '99 from the Samick factory, not that I'm the type to get hung up on these details but I hear this makes it somewhat more desirable than its Indonesian or Chinese made brethren. Anyway, here are my hair-brained observations that have me questioning what's up with this thing.

1. First thing that jumped out at me was the alignment of the tuners on the back of the headstock. Not a deal breaker but it looks sorta sloppy. It's this that made me look closer at the other photos.

2. The bridge looks straighter than anything I've seen on a Gibson style. Hard to tell from the poor photo but it certainly doesn't look as if it's quite at the angle I'd expect it to be.

3. Those controls for the Neck pup. I'm no authority on this but I hear they're meant to align with the screw on the scratchplate?

4. That CE sticker on the back of the headstock. In 19 years nobody had the urge to peel that thing off? No discolouration? Strikes me as odd.

Here's some poor quality pictures of the girl. It's all I've got to go on but I'll probably check it out if it's still for sale when I shake this flu. She looks the part, peculiarities aside. If the neck is straight and she plays okay I might take the plunge. I'm assuming these oddities I've noticed are just own to quality control, rather than a fake. Maybe the bridge is more angled than it looks in the photo.
$_58 (4).JPG $_58 (2).JPG $_58 (3).JPG $_58 (1).JPG

Cheers in advance. The only Epi I have to compare this to is a newer SG G400, which doesn't really help me at all.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

the alignment of the tuners on the back of the headstock
typical korean craftmanship of the earlier years....

but I hear they're meant to align with the screw on the scratchplate?
see above, the consistence came later....

but I hear this makes it somewhat more desirable than its Indonesian or Chinese made brethren
No, not really. Those older korean Epis are just different in so many points.
Mostly the sellers try to convince the buyers that they were 'special' or better than newer ones

and the guitar in the pics looks absolute legit

Hogie34

Reaction score
Hi,
Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

typical korean craftmanship of the earlier years....

see above, the consistence came later....

No, not really. Those older korean Epis are just different in so many points.
Mostly the sellers try to convince the buyers that they were 'special' or better than newer ones

and the guitar in the pics looks absolute legit
Thanks for chiming in Paruwi, I was going to mention that about the desirability aspect but couldn’t get it to come out diplomatic enough. Very well said!

Last edited:

Blastronaut

Reaction score
Nice one thanks folks! I shot the guy a message, sadly he's holding out for too much money (for now) another 100 pounds and I could just get a new one.

I don't see much point making the trip to try it out if we're miles apart on price. You never know, maybe he'll change his stance in some days/weeks. In the meantime I guess I've got plenty guitars to tide me over, just no LP for the time being. :(

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome!

xchefwalt

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thanks for such a great and informative thread. I had no idea that counterfeiting these guitars is so rampant. Now here's my issue: I'm taking up the guitar after a 35+ year hiatus, and I bought what I think is an Epi LP 100 studio (the guitarist in my former band recommended this Epi as a good starter). I started to get concerned when I couldn't find a picture online with the same headstock as mine (i.e. the Gibson). I've seen posts in this tread about LP Specials being too cheap to copy, and I'm hoping this is the case here. So what say you: excellent starter guitar or really sharp paperweight?

And BTW- any other info or tidbits you can add about this guitar would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!
G1.jpg G2.jpg G3.jpg G4.jpg G5.jpg G6.jpg G7.jpg

Last edited:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Last edited:

vomer

Reaction score
^horrible, and it sold for £280. I googled the serial number 09121509234 and it came up elsewhere from 2011, someone asking as they thought it might be a fake.

Latest posts