The New FAKE Epi thread

Raiyn

Reaction score
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=112851743219

s-l1600.jpg
I'm not the best woodworker in the room (I'd say the cats surpass me in that regard) but I could do better than that! What did they use? A spoon?

2tone

Reaction score
Hi, this is a great thread, thanks.
I recently bought an Epiphone from a local music store and assumed it should be legit. But, the serial number suggests it is a 2012 model (bought in 2018), and I have not seen another epi with a combination of an alnico and a zebra pick-up, so it seems a bit odd. Some pics attached, could it be a fake?
IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1906.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

2tone

Reaction score
Great, thanks! Still haven't found an image of one with both types of pickups, but maybe it was modified.

vomer

Reaction score
Good stuff. Is Clive here with us? I used to see his posts (somewhere?) a while ago.

candiru

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for help determining the legitimacy of this G-400 Custom I've got.

The headstock in particular gives me cause for concern. Nothing really seems straight on it! The truss rod cover printing, the diamond inlay and the logo are all misaligned. I can't find another picture of G400 with that truss rod cover and tuner combination, they almost always have Grover tuners rathere than these Epi Kluson style. The tuners are really badly aligned too. Also, the binding is a bit rough as it goes round the corners of the headstock.

I've had the pickups out and they're branded Epiphone so that gives me hope!

Any help gratefully received.

vu1lcAT.jpg

DyRAcgL.jpg
zZuPKos.jpg

LcOAuB2.jpg

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Any help gratefully received.

Hi,

Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

Don't worry, your Epi is absolute legit

made Feb '01 at the korean Unsung factory

back in the time when many different korean/chinese OEMs made Epis, they were different in so many ways.
Not to compare with todays €pis consistence.

Sometimes we make fun and call it
'the high praised korean craftmanship'

BGood

Reaction score
Looks legit to me too. Koreans were all over the place as specs go.
Enjoy it.

candiru

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys! I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my guitar. I can now upgrade it a bit without worrying it's a complete waste of time and money.

I'm leaving the strings as they are because it picks up the tone in the atmosphere that is otherwise lost ;)

SurfGreen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just Brought an Epiphone Dreadnought guitar from my local charity shop, But I cant figure out what year it is! The model is a FT 150BL which I think may be from the 70s.

The serial number is GG3082 or 663082.

any info would be appreciated.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just Brought an Epiphone Dreadnought guitar from my local charity shop, But I cant figure out what year it is! The model is a FT 150BL which I think may be from the 70s.

The serial number is GG3082 or 663082.

any info would be appreciated.
Rule number one, especially on a NGD....
pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpg

Especially when you need real / fake information about it, serial numbers are sadly easy to fake so other clues are necessary to give good information.

:cheers:

2tone

Reaction score
Pretty sure I just discovered a fake Epi LP Custom being advertised on the Brisbane Used Guitar exchange on Facebook. Should I mention to the person offering it for sale that it looks fake?

Latest posts