The New FAKE Epi thread

Cam

Reaction score
What leads you to that conclusion?
From top to bottom, the "Grovers" look fake, the text is slightly too narrow compared to two other sets of Grovers I have, the truss rod cover is VERY thin and hasn't got the bevel I've seen on other Epi Truss rod covers, and the fonts look slightly off. The logo looks VERY wrong, it sits quite far down, and the shape looks off compared to the two Epi's I have. The "Custom Shop" logo is very smudgy, and is a different size to my Custom Shop Epi. The headstock binding is twice as thick as it should be (like in the first post on this thread).

The body shape overall feels wrong. Between the bouts is too narrow, and the horn shape is very off. The tailpiece screws are also domed, not flat, and to my knowledge Epi only use flat.

Overall the craftsmanship is much much worse than any other Epi I've seen, which could just mean its a bad example, but all in all it seems very off to me.

Raiyn

Reaction score
the "Grovers" look fake, the text is slightly too narrow compared
I had a set of "licensed" Grovers like that on my G400, got rid of them though.
the truss rod cover is VERY thin and hasn't got the bevel I've seen on other Epi Truss rod covers, and the fonts look slightly off.
Considering I've had a couple different aftermarket TRC's over the last few years... I don't put a world of stock in using one as evidence of chicanery.

The rest of the stuff, I'll grant you, seems off but I'll defer to @Paruwi on that. The thing that makes me wonder a bit is the use of the Molex connector. I haven't seen that in a fake yet.

Cam

Reaction score
I had a set of "licensed" Grovers like that on my G400, got rid of them though.

Considering I've had a couple different aftermarket TRC's over the last few years... I don't put a world of stock in using one as evidence of chicanery.

The rest of the stuff, I'll grant you, seems off but I'll defer to @Paruwi on that. The thing that makes me wonder a bit is the use of the Molex connector. I haven't seen that in a fake yet.
Yeah, so far the electronics look good. That took me by surprise when I opened it up. Wondering if they just plopped not just Epi pickups but the whole harness in there.

Supersonic

Reaction score
I agree about the Grovers looking weird, something's not right there.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yeah, so far the electronics look good. That took me by surprise when I opened it up. Wondering if they just plopped not just Epi pickups but the whole harness in there.
Dunno. I'd have figured they'd just use the regular knockoffs since most suckers don't open the control panel prior to purchase.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Epiphone-Le...h=item363fe980cc:g:sogAAOSwXItb5u~C:rk:3:pf:0

I don't think Epi ever made such a Custom ?
@RTH
according to the serial# it's from '09

Felipe10mm

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post here.

I found this for sale on Facebook:

45567721_10211815530296410_6582192154561478656_n.jpg

What do you thing about this one?
It's really confusing to me, looks like a SG special but the headstock doesn't match.

Any thoughts?

thanks!!!

Reaction score
Hello All,

Noob here. New to the forum, guitars and Epiphones...as in 1 month new...

In that time I've managed to accumulate a wonderful EL-00 that I love to death, and as of yesterday, a Les Paul, the model and legitimacy of which I can't seem to figure out.

The LP is a "barn find" that came my way for pretty much the price of lunch, and from the looks of it has had a hard life. I intend to get it back into shape but first would like to know what model it is and whether it's fake or genuine. Doing my own research raised questions, but I don't know my @** from my elbow at this point.

The serial number 099040321 is stamped on hefty metal plate that reads "Handcrafted In Korea By
Epiphone
The Epiphone Company
Nashville
Tennessee USA"

Having problems loading pics and links here, so I guess I need to start with a description. Colour is ebony with ivory pickguard, no binding. The body has the arch top of Standard/Studio, etc, but dot inlays on the fretboard like a 100. Body also seems narrower and lighter than a Standard. Has a 3-screw truss rod cover that says "Gibson."

Any opinions would be helpful. Will provide images when able. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
The serial number 099040321 is stamped on hefty metal plate that reads "Handcrafted In Korea By
Epiphone
The Epiphone Company
Nashville
Tennessee USA"
If this is the plate you're talking about, then your guitar seem to be a Les Paul 100. And rest assured that nobody ever made LP100 fakes.

... and welcome to EpiTalk

image-54.jpeg

Raiyn

Reaction score
If this is the plate you're talking about, then your guitar seem to be a Les Paul 100. And rest assured that nobody ever made LP100 fakes.

... and welcome to EpiTalk

At least not with Johnny Bravo switch cavity covers...
qgkja7vthv3z.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the welcome and the note. Yes, that’s the plate. Much appreciated! I found a link buried in this thread that took me to the LP 100 Standard and it looks identical.

Cheers.

Latest posts