WHY do folks put "Gibson" truss rod covers on Epis??

• Thread starter IronSchef
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wildeman

Reaction score
FYI, all that Gibbo TRC says to me is KOREAN MADE! goodness usually accompanies.
Oh yeah, all these real wood guitars will be collectable soon.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Yep, someone on here (I think) had a Snow Falcon V, white Phenolic fretboard - looked awesome, and played nicely too according to the owner :thumb:

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Always liked V's - had an el cheapo copy back in the day I seem to remember...

Like the wine red Gibson 2016 model, but a bit much as an impulse purchase, even used :facepalm:

Loving the look of the Amos reissue that JB is helping Epi with, but again, betting it's beyond my guitar budget.

If I'm ever to own a Gibson LP, I'll probably have to sell the lot to afford it... And put some more in the pot <sigh> :frown:

ikeus

Reaction score
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I intend to replace any TRC on guitars I buy with one more fitting to the "personality" of the individual guitar. None will say "Gibson" even if it actually is a Gibson.
View attachment 4390

It's just how I roll.
If; one finds it necessary or desirable to use a cover plate.. I like the classy girl cover!
I just leave mine off.. I don't share the opinion that EVERYTHING that comes from a manufacturer is good or, in good taste.

Wmachine

Reaction score
I think the point has been well made. "We" can tend to be mi-optic when looking at this. A look at other "collectibles" can sometimes clear the vision a bit. From comic books to Classic Cars to other antiques, "original" condition is the top of the heap.
Things are further confused when we throw in "what we like", which has no bearing on originality or value.
I find collectors of all types find it hard to be objective, and forums of all types are full of them. Which is understandable to a degree, because love can make you blind!

As an example, I've been asked about a certain year classic car, "What color do you like best?". My answer "The original color". I appreciate whatever the original color was. Any color bias I may have otherwise is immaterial.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I just leave mine off..
Depending upon the environment the guitar lives in, that's probably OK. It is not unwise, however to consider that covers are placed there to keep out dust and other crud. A very small particle can start the process that leads to frozen, stripped and/or broken trussrods.

Raiyn

Reaction score
As an example, I've been asked about a certain year classic car, "What color do you like best?". My answer "The original color". I appreciate whatever the original color was. Any color bias I may have otherwise is immaterial.
I'd agree if one were doing a restoration on a numbers matching car, but if you've got a six banger or something with a non original drivetrain, it's time to get creative.

I'm digging the "pro touring" style: good horsepower but with better brakes and the ability to turn corners.

The Convert

Reaction score
When I was growing up, my dad had a '63 split-window Corvette. One of the few fun things he ever did on a large scale: in 1974 he painted it black with thick yellow stripes and all of us kids excitedly called it the "Bumble Bee". That still was the coolest damned car I've ever seen, and I know my Dad--he regrets nothing.

Biddlin

Reaction score
all that Gibbo TRC says to me is KOREAN MADE! goodness usually accompanies.
I love my Korean Epis, but I have to say that my 08 Chinese LP Custom is a killer guitar, no reservations.Here it is with my 98 LP Standard
slvrflk.jpg 1asmlcs1.jpg DSCN1448.JPG DSCN1485.JPG
I would say that the build on the Custom is very slightly better, in terms of fit and finish. The fact that they were built a decade apart probably accounts more for that difference than geography. Those CnC machines know no national loyalty.

Raiyn

Reaction score
When I was growing up, my dad had a '63 split-window Corvette. One of the few fun things he ever did on a large scale: in 1974 he painted it black with thick yellow stripes and all of us kids excitedly called it the "Bumble Bee". That still was the coolest damned car I've ever seen, and I know my Dad--he regrets nothing.
My kind of guy. As much as I love restored cars, the fact that he decided to express himself with what was, let's face it, a used car at the time is still really cool. One year only model etc. didn't really enter into it at the time.

Wmachine

Reaction score
I'd agree if one were doing a restoration on a numbers matching car, but if you've got a six banger or something with a non original drivetrain, it's time to get creative.
Absolutely. I was referring to the aspect of original cars/guitars. They can only be original once. But once they have left the state of original, then sure, anything goes! And that's the point. There is a place for everyone's personalizing. All original or all customized? Would be pretty boring if we all liked and had exactly the same thing.
And it is the differences, not the similarities, that make the collecting thrive.

The Convert

Reaction score
Absolutely. I was referring to the aspect of original cars/guitars. They can only be original once. But once they have left the state of original, then sure, anything goes!

I think this is really subjective though. That is, when is it no longer original?

I would guess that nobody would say changing strings (or brake pads, to keep up the metaphor) would undo its "original" status. What if you remove a trem spring? Probably not. But where then?

I was working with a buddy on a vintage Les Paul. I'm pretty sure it was a '53. Not pristine, but gorgeous nonetheless. It needed a replacement pot. We talked about it for hours if we really needed to find a period-appropriate pot for this guitar. The owner had inherited it and had no opinion. But what was underlying our discussion was, regardless of what he or I thought, would "too many people" consider this change to take it out of the "all original" classification.

What I learned for myself then and in subsequent similar situations, is that I'm going to get the best sounding instruments, and if I can improve them for me, then that's the obvious thing to do. If someone else doesn't value those changes, that's also an opinion. But if anyone values an instrument because of the idea of what it is over how it sounds and plays, then I will posit that they are interested in collectable museum pieces, and not living creations of music.

NoBucks

Reaction score
What I learned for myself then and in subsequent similar situations, is that I'm going to get the best sounding instruments, and if I can improve them for me, then that's the obvious thing to do. If someone else doesn't value those changes, that's also an opinion. But if anyone values an instrument because of the idea of what it is over how it sounds and plays, then I will posit that they are interested in collectable museum pieces, and not living creations of music.

I agree with this 100%. And for every 10 collectors of originals who pass on your stuff because it's not "original", there's going to be someone out there who likes the mod you made and will buy because of the potential that the instrument has for sound. Do you buy it to use it, or are you buying it to look at and/or someday resell? Either one is fine, because everyone is different and has different motivations.

I have a 1968 Jeepster Commando which, when I bought it used in 1992 could have been restored. Since then, I have modified the crap out of, painted it with rattle cans, changed the drivetrain three times, and driven it in ways that some people would say is an abuse of a classic. I could've done nothing to it, parked it my garage, and now, twenty-five years later, sold it for $7,500. But what is the dollar value of the fun I've had with it, driving it, working on it, etc.? But, again, that's a subjective number, and each person needs to answer that for himself.

Personally, if I buy something, I'm buying it to use it and to probably do mods to it that will also make the resale subjective, depending on the buyer. And I can live with that.

Last edited:

Latest posts