Show your Amps...

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I'm playing through a 2003 Peavey XXL head and 2 Crate cabs. But they aren't Crates, it's what's inside that's different. ;)

101_0032.jpg

I have a very similar setup; originally a Peavey Supreme XL which I upgraded to a XXL and a Crate cab:

My XXL someone cut out of the combo and made a head out of plywood and a drawer handle. I covered it and added some hardware to give a bit different look:

Beyond that I have a Classic 50 410, Special 212, Studiopro 112 and an Audition 110:

Shane

buddhuu

Reaction score
I've posted pics of this amp before in the "What's your favorite epi guitar/amp combination?" thread, but I thought this new item was worthy of a mention.

So, the amp is a RAT modified SubZero Tube-20R. A high quality Fender Blues Junior clone, a bit bigger and beefier in construction than the actual FBJ. The stock circuit before mods is identical to the FBJ except for a standby switch.

Andy at RAT swaps out any sub-standard or inadequate parts (caps, sockets etc etc), dresses heater and other leads, corrects the bias settings and converts the amp to autobias, adds power scaling (for full cranked sound at low volume), adds switchable tube/SS recitifier, modifies the tonestack so treble, middle and bass all sweep from zero to max rather than just operating in a preset range, includes an amp-powered LED footswitch and does a number of other improvements.

I absolutely love this amp. I used to own the unmodified version which was better than a genuine FBJ even without the RAT tweaks. When I sold it I missed it so much that I went to buy another, but then I saw the RAT version and had to get it. One of the best purchases I ever made.

As I say, it's 15w. That's 15 loud, tube watts but still only 15w. Loud enough for a pub gig with an unmic'ed drummer but that's its limit. Not a problem - I can always mic it through the PA but I wanted a few more options. So, I bought the little box you see sitting on top of the amp. That also came from Andy at RAT. It's an 8ohm load that I can put between the amp and the speaker if I want the combo's onboard speaker to work as normal, or instead of the speaker if I don't want to use the combo's onboard speaker. It adds line-out and headphone sockets (each with hi/lo level switch). I now have the option to take a line to the PA or - for a bit more fun - to take the line into the FX loop return of my Peavey Bandit and so use the bandit as a slave amp to give me 80w or 100w.

I haven't tried it yet as the dummy load only arrived today and I'm waiting for a couple of speaker cables. I'll let you know how the various configurations work out! :D

RATamp_load.JPG

Mark

Reaction score
One amp that I loved and would do anything to have again is an H-H amp. I must have got it in 73 or 74 and it had the best lead sound of anything I owned before or since.

It was a British-made amp with everything from a Marshall to a Sunn sound. Any of you guys remember these? The whole face glowed an eerie green. :D

hh_amp_zpsd4zahgp9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HH_Electronics

Alty

Reaction score
Not mine but thought this was nice enough to share, I was testing this today, an interesting Sears Silvertone 1483 Bass Amp from the 60's, 23W of Tube:

1483-88566.jpg

[Library Pic: © The Internet]

Tested with a Revelation RLR Greenburst:

rlr_greenburst.jpg

And a cheap 70's 12" PA Speaker and was a delight to listen to.

:)

Alty

Reaction score
Our latest addition:

390023514343-1.jpg

Epiphone Studio Acoustic 15C, wasn't looking but it was cheap enough not to be able to say no to....:)

Reaction score
1992 Soldano Hot Rod 50 with Mercury iron. Cab has four Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers.
Best rock amp I have ever owned
soldanoHR50rig.jpg

1994 Sovtek Mig60 modded by Scott Splawn of Splawn Amps. A fire breather.

splawnmig60.jpg

This one is fun. I gutted a Park G10 practice amp and stuffed a Marshall JCM800 2204 50 watt inside it.
You should see the looks I get when I play this one.

jcm800minidual.jpg

gsmacleod

Reaction score

Trade my Supreme XL this week for this ugly little thing:

Someone made a Peavey VK Royal 8 into a head (and done a terrible job with making a cabinet and covering it). I had turned on the Supreme XL in more than a year as I've been using the XXL and I've been keeping an eye out for a small watt head to play with. With what I originally paid for the head way back when and the fact that I hadn't been using it, feels like a pretty even swap although now I'm thinking I need a little 112 cabinet to go with the Royal.

Shane

Latest posts